Sunday, January 7, 2018

Winter Garden Therapy

November and almost all of December had no hard freezes....then on December the 31st and the first 2 days of January temperatures dropped to the teens and did not get above freezing for those 3 days.

Frostweed doing its thing

The beauty of cold

Pomegranate 

That can change the landscape of a garden drastically! 
As our very dramatic and lover of her "fairy garden" grand daughter claimed "This is the worst thing that has ever happened in my life. Your garden is dead.....I hate it....this is so awful".

From this.......


 To this.....
Life is full of teaching moments for a beautiful 6 year old. I think I might feel the same as her if the openness of the garden didn't allow for great bird watching.

One really great boost in December was a very much needed rain.

On the really cold days, the best way to enjoy all the awesome outdoor activity and beauty is through the windows!
Pollyanna gazing


And on those perfectly cool, crisp, sunshiny days.........
Add some wood to the chiminea,  grab a mug of something hot and for me....grab my brand new camera from my most extraordinary husband....and cozy up on the deck.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet
This was a first sighting for me of this delightful little bird. When it saw itself reflected in the mirror, it's ruby crown would pop up in glorious display.
Mockingbird

Sparrow
Male Cardinal

Female Cardinal


Female and male House Wrens

Tufted Titmouse 


Red-Bellied Woodpecker dining

Bluejay

Cardinal splashing red all over the place
Carolina Chickadee
So many birds....so many different personalities and habits! Such a joy and delight to watch!

And there is so much other winter beauty around.


Even though Nandinas are on the Texas invasive list, they came with the yard (my parents planted them) and provide such vibrant winter color and shelter for the birds. I guess I have a love/hate relationship with them.....and love is winning.

And don't ever forget to look up!




I am enjoying this season but yearning for spring also!

"Spring makes its own statement, so loud and clear that the gardener seems to be only one of the instruments, not the composer." - Geoffrey B. Charlesworth

  "In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." - Margaret Atwood



No comments:

Post a Comment